Apparition Lit wants sci-fi, fantasy, and other forms of speculative fiction and poetry on the theme of Ambition for its April 2019 issue, which appears in print and online. The editors write:
Speculative fiction is weird, almost unclassifiable. It’s fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and literary. We want it all. Send us your strange, misshapen stories.
Send us stories with enough emotional heft to break a heart, with prose that’s as clear and delicious as broth. We’re looking for proactive characters and beautiful language, all wrapped up in a complete story.
Diversity is as important in fiction as it is in real life. We want a mosaic of stories, from authors of all identities and walks of life.
Submitting to Apparition Lit
- Publication: Apparition Lit
- Publication type: periodical, online
- Word count: Stories should be 1,000–5,000 words. Works over 5,200 words will be automatically rejected. Poetry can be up to 2 pages.
- Payment: 3¢/word for fiction; $15 per poem
- Rights the publisher asks for: “If we accept your story, we are purchasing the right to publish the story online and in the quarterly edition. Rights will revert back to the artist after one year.”
- Deadline: February 15–28
- Publication date: April 2019
- Response time: You should hear back by March 15
- Format: Standard manuscript format in Times New Roman or Arial font. Submit as a Rich Text Format file.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? No.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Who to contact with questions: email@example.com
- Additional notes: “While we love dark stories with macabre elements, we will not accept stories with gratuitous and graphic violence or rape, this includes any type of child abuse including sexual abuse. We also will not consider stories that have extreme, purposeless violence toward animals. Stories containing these elements will be automatically rejected.”
Find more details at Submission Guidelines | Apparition Lit, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!Writers! @ApparitionLit wants speculative fiction and poetry on the theme of ambition for its April 2019 issue. Submit February 15-28. They pay 3¢/word for fiction and $15 per poem. Click To Tweet