Dark Helix Press wants fantasy and sci fi shorts by authors with a “geographical Asian heritage” for Immersion: An Asian Anthology of Love, Fantasy, and Speculative Fiction. The editors are Allan Cho (Inside the World’s Major East Asian Collections), JF Garrard (Trump: Utopia or Dystopia, The Undead Sorceress) and William Tham (Kings of Petaling Street). They write:
Construct a story about an Asian main character set in an immersive alternate past, present or future. Fill this reality with hints of reality, magic, or fantastical but believable science. If you are interested in writing about a motorized caravan train across the Silk Road, or sages searching for magical apprentices in the South China Sea, now is your chance. We also like good wuxia swordplay and other martial arts as much as we enjoy postcolonial politics and other contemporary topics. Draw on your heritage and transport us to a different world.
Submitting to Immersion: An Asian Anthology of Love, Fantasy, and Speculative Fiction
- Publisher: Dark Helix Press
- Publication: Immersion: An Asian Anthology of Love, Fantasy, and Speculative Fiction
- Publication type: anthology (ebook; possibly print)
- Word count: Flash fiction up to 1,800 words and short stories up to 6,000 words
- Payment: $40 CAD per short story or $20 CAD per flash fiction and an e-book contributor’s copy
- Rights the publisher asks for: First World Rights for an anthology in the English-language. Exclusive rights prior to publication and non-exclusive rights for the anthology.
- Deadline: Dec. 31, 2018
- Publication date: Summer 2019
- Response time: not specified
- Format: Use standard manuscript format, but with emphasized words in italics. They accept Microsoft Word and Rich Text Format documents only.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Not specified. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? Yes. Please note where the story was previously published. English translations of stories originally written in another language are also welcome.
- Additional notes: “Authors must have a geographical Asian heritage.” If you need clarification on what that means, please send an email to email@example.com.
Find more details at Submissions | Immersion, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@darkhelixpress has a call out for sci fi and fantasy shorts for an anthology featuring writers of Asian background. Due Dec. 31, 2018; pays $40 CAD per short story or $20 CAD per flash fiction and an e-book contributor’s copy. . Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.