The Dark magazine is a monthly online magazine devoted to horror, dark fantasy, and experimental fiction that frightens. They’re open to submissions year-round.
To get an idea of the editors’ tastes, you can check out the current issue for free or purchase older issues at your favorite ebookstore. Please note that the editors love scary stuff, but authors should not send stories that rely on graphic, violent depictions of horror.
- Publisher: The Dark Magazine
- Publication type: Online magazine and ebook series
- Word count: 2,000–6,000 words
- Payment: 3¢/word for original fiction; 1¢/word for reprints
- Rights: First world rights for original fiction; nonexclusive reprint rights for reprints
- Deadline: ongoing
- Response time: Feel free to query on your submission’s status after one month
- Format: Microsoft Word .doc format or Rich Text Format
- Will they take simultaneous or multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? Yes, but only from established print markets (such as short story collections and anthologies) from the previous two years.
Find more details at The Dark | Submissions Guidelines.
2 thoughts on “Submission Call: The Dark pays 3¢/word for horror and dark fantasy”
Ooo, how awesome! (heart) Thanks for sharing this!