Books Save Lives:
Authors & Publishers for LGBT Chechens
We’re devastated by the news coming out of Chechnya, where gay and bisexual men — and those suspected of being gay — are being rounded up in detention camps and killed.
If you’re a writer or publisher, please consider helping in these ways:
- Donating a percentage of your earnings from one or more of your titles, on one or more days in the upcoming weeks, to support organizations that are helping vulnerable LGBT Chechens.
- Donating directly to an organization that’s helping out, and letting your readers and fans know how they can too.
- Telling your readers and fans about Readers & Writers for LGBT Chechens.
Interested in raising funds or making a donation? Please sign up using the form below. We’ll list you as a participant on our Readers & Writers for LGBT Chechens page and let readers know how they can support your generosity.
All writers, publishers, and other creatives are welcome to participate regardless of genre, sexual orientation, nationality, or gender.
Sign up to donate royalties or do another type of fundraiser.
Books Save Lives — Fundraising Questions
Skip to General Questions
What charities are helping vulnerable Chechens?
- The Russian LGBT Network is the main organization helping LGBT Chechens. (Chechnya is part of the Russian Federation.) The post Help Save the Lives of LGBT Chechens answers frequently asked questions about the situation in Chechnya, the Russian LGBT Network, and getting vulnerable Chechens get to safety.
- ILGA-Europe does not work directly in Russia or Chechnya, but can get money to the Russian LGBT Network and other organizations on the ground.
- Canada-based Rainbow Railroad is working with the Russian LGBT Network to get fleeing Chechens to countries where they will be safer.
Is there a deadline for signing up?
No. But given that this is a humanitarian emergency, the sooner we respond, the better.
I can’t give a percentage of sales. Is there another way to fundraise?
Yes. You can find additional fundraising ideas here: More Ways Writers Can Help LGBT Chechens.
I want to donate (or have already donated) a flat amount instead of participating in the auction or earmarking a portion of sales. Can I still be listed?
Definitely. Just fill out the form on this page and select “other” when we ask how you’re participating.
Where should I send any money I raise through book sales?
Please send all collected monies directly to the Russian LGBT Network, ILGA-Europe, Rainbow Railroad, or American Friends of Rainbow Railroad.
Is this effort endorsed or run by the Russian LGBT Network, ILGA-Europe, Rainbow Railroad, or American Rainbow Railroad?
No. This is an independent, voluntary effort by people who want to support these charities.
Are my donations tax-deductible as a charitable or business expense?
Tax implications depend on your country and business type. Please consult your tax agency for more information.
I’m not an author or publisher. Can I help out anyway?
Yes. We know book people, so we’re asking book people to join us. But if you have something to offer, let us know!
Is there a central web page I can send readers & fans to for information about this effort?
Yep: Readers & Writers for LGBT Chechens.
Donations Sent So Far
ILGA-Europe provides funds to organizations in the Russian Federation helping vulnerable Chechens get to safety
Rainbow Railroad is a Canadian group working with the Russian LGBT Network to get fleeing Chechens to asylum.
American Friends of Rainbow Railroad raises funds for Rainbow Railroad. Donations are tax-deductible in the U.S.