Aurealis wants speculative fiction short stories for its online magazine. New Zealand and Australian writers may submit immediately; other writers should wait for the August 1–September 30 submission period. The editors write:
Aurealis is looking for science fiction, fantasy or horror short stories between 2000 and 8000 words. All types of science fiction, fantasy and horror that are of a “speculative” nature will be considered, but we do not want stories that are derivative in nature, particularly those based on TV series. We do not publish horror without a supernatural element.
Submitting to Aurealis
- Publisher: Aurelius
- Publication type: online magazine; possible inclusion in ebook and print anthology
- Word count: 2,000–8,000 words
- Payment: $20–$60 (Australian) per 1,000 words
- Rights the publisher asks for: First electronic publication rights and the non-exclusive rights to include the story in a print and digital anthology, and exclusive rights for 12 months after story appears in electronic form in Aurealis. All other rights remain with the contributor.
- Deadline: Submissions from Australian and New Zealand writers: February 1 through September 30. Submissions from anyone anywhere: August 1 through September 30.
- Response time: up to 4 months
- Format: Submissions should be included as Right Text Files only.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? No.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
Find more details at Submissions | Aurealis, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@AurealisMag wants speculative fiction short stories. Submissions from Australian & New Zealand writers accepted now. For others, submission period is Aug. 1—Sept. 30; pays 2¢–6¢/word (Australian). Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.