Aurealis wants speculative fiction short stories for its online magazine. New Zealand and Australian writers may submit immediately; other writers should wait for the August 1–September 30 submission period. The editors write:
Aurealis is looking for science fiction, fantasy or horror short stories between 2000 and 8000 words. All types of science fiction, fantasy and horror that are of a “speculative” nature will be considered, but we do not want stories that are derivative in nature, particularly those based on TV series. We do not publish horror without a supernatural element.
Submitting to Aurealis
- Publisher: Aurelius
- Publication type: online magazine; possible inclusion in ebook and print anthology
- Word count: 2,000–8,000 words
- Payment: $20–$60 (Australian) per 1,000 words
- Rights the publisher asks for: First electronic publication rights and the non-exclusive rights to include the story in a print and digital anthology, and exclusive rights for 12 months after story appears in electronic form in Aurealis. All other rights remain with the contributor.
- Deadline: Submissions from Australian and New Zealand writers: February 1 through September 30. Submissions from anyone anywhere: August 1 through September 30.
- Response time: up to 4 months
- Format: Submissions should be included as Right Text Files only.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? No.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
Find more details at Submissions | Aurealis, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@AurealisMag wants speculative fiction short stories. Submissions from Australian & New Zealand writers accepted now. For others, submission period is Aug. 1—Sept. 30; pays 2¢–6¢/word (Australian). Click To Tweet