Bad Dream Entertainment wants short stories that teeter on the line between horror and humor for an upcoming anthology. The editors write:
For our first new anthology of short fiction after a two year hiatus, Bad Dream is now accepting submissions of humorous dark fiction. Editor Brett Reistroffer is looking for original horror fiction with a strong sense of comedy, and most themes, subjects, and settings are welcome but standard genre tropes are definitely discouraged (vampires, zombies, werewolves, etc.). The comedic aspect can be goofy and slapstick or black and morbid, just as long as there are equal amounts of darkness and humor. Horror has always been fertile ground for that unique juxtaposition and it’s exactly what we are looking for …
Submitting to Bad Dream Entertainment
- Publisher: Bad Dream Entertainment
- Publication type: anthology
- Editor: Brett Reistroffer
- Word count: 1,500–8,000 words
- Payment: 6¢/word plus royalties, split evenly among authors from 50% percent of the book’s gross sales profit
- Rights the publisher asks for: “First Rights for electronic and print mediums (in English only)”
- Deadline: December 31
- Response time: 2–4 weeks
- Format: Standard manuscript format in .doc, .txt, .odt, or .rtf. No PDFs.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Yes, up to two submissions. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No. “First-time English translations are acceptable, however.”
- Who to contact with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find more details at Submissions | Bad Dreams Entertainment, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@BadDreamPub has a call out for humorous, short horror stories. Due December 31; pays 6¢/word plus royalties. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.