Cleis Press has extended the deadline for Best Lesbian Erotica of the Year Volume 4 (Best Lesbian Erotica 2019) to August 31. The anthology will be edited by Sinclair Sexsmith, who wants contemporary, realistic short stories only. They write:
Representations of queer women, non-binary AFAB, and trans women’s sexuality that are not as frequently seen — with ability, race, ethnicity, class, neurodiversity, ace-spectrum, age, religion, or other social justice politic viewpoint — are particularly of interest. Writers who have not previously published are encouraged.
The anthology is not limited to certain kinds of sex acts. “Vanilla,” BDSM, fetish, ace, and all kinds of sensual and sexual expression are welcome. I will be looking for a wide variety of sexual identities: mommy, mistress, sir, puppy, girl, etc.
Dale’s note: The pay this year has dropped a lot. It used to be $100/story; now it’s $50.
Submitting to Best Lesbian Erotica of the Year Volume 4 (Best Lesbian Erotica 2019)
- Publisher: Cleis Press
- Publication: Best Lesbian Erotica of the Year Volume 4 (Best Lesbian Erotica 2019)
- Publication type: anthology
- Word count: 2,000–4,000 words
- Payment: $50 and 1 copy of the book within 90 days of publication
- Rights the publisher asks for: Non-exclusive right to publish the story in this anthology in print, ebook and audiobook form.
- Deadline: August 15
- Publication date: 2019
- Response time: Not specified
- Format: “Send your double-spaced, Times New Roman black font submission with the subject line ‘Best Lesbian Erotica submission’ to firstname.lastname@example.org as a Google document (preferred), or as an attachment in .doc, .docx or .rtf format. Include the story title, your legal name, pseudonym (if applicable), 150-word bio, previous publication information for the story (if applicable), and mailing and email addresses on the first page.”
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? not specified.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Up to two stories may be submitted Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? Yes, if published in 2018. However, new stories preferred.
Find more details, query at email@example.com, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@mrsexsmith and @cleispress have extended the deadline for Best Lesbian Erotica of the Year Volume 4. Due August 31; pays $50 and 1 copy of the book within 90 days of publication. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.