Colorado Review reopens submissions for literary short stories and poetry on August 1.
The editors write:
We consider short fiction and personal essays with contemporary themes (no genre fiction or literary criticism). There is no specific word or page count; generally, however, Colorado Review prefers short stories and essays that are somewhere between 15 and 25 manuscript pages.
They will consider poetry of any style.
Submitting to Colorado Review
- Publisher: Colorado State University
- Publication: Colorado Review
- Publication type: literary magazine
- Word count: suggested (not strict) length for short stories is 15 to 25 manuscript pages; for poetry, a maximum or 15 manuscript pages
- Payment: $10 per page ($30 minimum) for poetry (which it is not currently considering) and $200 for short stories and essays, plus two copies of the issue in which you are published and a one-year subscription to Colorado Review.
- Rights the publisher asks for: First North American Serial Rights; all rights revert to the author upon publication
- Submission period: August 1–April 30
- Publication date: Not specified. Colorado Review publishes three times a year.
- Response time: Not specified.
- Format: All manuscripts must be typed (double-spaced for fiction and nonfiction; poetry may be single-spaced) and accompanied by a cover letter. Use standard manuscript format. Physical manuscripts must be printed on white letter-sized paper and be accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope or e-mail address for response.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Additional notes: Fiction & poetry manuscripts are read from August 1 to April 30. DO NOT EMAIL SUBMISSIONS. The primary method of submitting is via post. There is also an online submission portal, but there is a charge of $3 if you want to use it. Do not submit if Colorado Review has published your work in the last two years.
Find more details at Submissions | Colorado Review, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@Colorado_Review is open to submissions of literary short stories and poetry from August 1 to April 30. They pay $200 plus two copies of the issue in which you are published. Click To Tweet