Colorado Review reopens submissions for literary short stories and poetry on August 1.
The editors write:
We consider short fiction and personal essays with contemporary themes (no genre fiction or literary criticism). There is no specific word or page count; generally, however, Colorado Review prefers short stories and essays that are somewhere between 15 and 25 manuscript pages.
They will consider poetry of any style.
Submitting to Colorado Review
- Publisher: Colorado State University
- Publication: Colorado Review
- Publication type: literary magazine
- Word count: suggested (not strict) length for short stories is 15 to 25 manuscript pages; for poetry, a maximum or 15 manuscript pages
- Payment: $10 per page ($30 minimum) for poetry (which it is not currently considering) and $200 for short stories and essays, plus two copies of the issue in which you are published and a one-year subscription to Colorado Review.
- Rights the publisher asks for: First North American Serial Rights; all rights revert to the author upon publication
- Submission period: August 1–April 30
- Publication date: Not specified. Colorado Review publishes three times a year.
- Response time: Not specified.
- Format: All manuscripts must be typed (double-spaced for fiction and nonfiction; poetry may be single-spaced) and accompanied by a cover letter. Use standard manuscript format. Physical manuscripts must be printed on white letter-sized paper and be accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope or e-mail address for response.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Additional notes: Fiction & poetry manuscripts are read from August 1 to April 30. DO NOT EMAIL SUBMISSIONS. The primary method of submitting is via post. There is also an online submission portal, but there is a charge of $3 if you want to use it. Do not submit if Colorado Review has published your work in the last two years.
Find more details at Submissions | Colorado Review, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@Colorado_Review is open to submissions of literary short stories and poetry from August 1 to April 30. They pay $200 plus two copies of the issue in which you are published. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.