Cosmic Roots & Eldritch Shores holds four reading periods a year to consider unsolicited submissions, and we are coming up on the next one. They want “science fiction, fantasy, myth, legend, fairy tales, and eldritch.” Here’s what they like and don’t like:
We accept both serious and humorous work. We like science fiction in all its states of matter, from solid to gaseous to plasma, i.e., from hard as steel to as insubstantial as interstellar space. If you use real existing science, please get it right.
Hard Sells: Vampires, werewolves, monsters in general, anthro, robots with feelings
We’re not looking for horror, hate, blood & guts, explicit language, excessive violence, angst-ridden romance, fan fiction*, sex, axe-grinding, or stories that leave readers feeling they’ve had the energy and joy sucked out of them.
*If the original work is still in copyright and was not commissioned or sanctioned by the creator or owner we will not accept it.
Submitting to Cosmic Roots & Eldritch Shores
- Publisher: Cosmic Roots & Eldritch Shores
- Publication type: Online periodical
- Word count: 1,000 words or more, “but all else being equal, the shorter pieces will be favored,” say the editors
- Payment: 6¢/word for new fiction, 2¢/word for reprints
- Rights: Exclusive rights for one year after publication, plus rights to print in future anthologies within reason for additional royalties of 50% pro-rata share. Read their standard contract.
- Submission period: Dec. 21–Dec. 28, 2017. They will not accept submissions prior to Dec. 21.
- Response time: 1 to 12 weeks
- Format: Standard manuscript format in Microsoft Word (.docx format), or Rich Text Format
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take multiple submissions? They will not take multiple submissions of the same type (for example, two short stories), but they will consider multiple submissions of different types (for example, a short story and a drawing).
- Will they take reprints? Yes. They must have been published more than a year ago and cannot be available for purchase.
Read all the details on Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores’ submission page, and don’t forget to tell them you found their call here!
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.