Male-male and gay romance publisher Dreamspinner Press is accepting manuscripts for its Dreamspun Beyond book line, an ongoing collection of contemporary paranormal romances. The editors write:
These contemporary category romance novels feature paranormal themes, settings, and characters to create compelling otherworldly romance that’s a step beyond reality and far too appealing and romantic to miss. …
We want to feel the emotions, and there is an aspect of risk and danger in the paranormal worlds, but go easy on the angst! We’re looking for surmountable obstacles, not tragedies and painful backgrounds. Love does conquer all!
Submitting to Dreamspun Beyond book line
- Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
- Publication: Dreamspun Beyond book line
- Publication type: ebook, print book
- Word count: 50,000-60,000 words
- Payment: “A $500-$1,000 advance is paid in a single payment upon receipt of the signed contract. Once the advance is satisfied, novels earn 40% royalties for digital sales and 30% royalties for print sales.” Digital royalties increase to 50% after 1,000 copies are sold and 60% after 2,000 copies are sold.
- Rights the publisher asks for: Exclusive rights for three years with the option to renew
- Deadline: Submit anytime
- Publication date: Approximately one year following submission, if accepted.
- Response time: “We will acknowledge all submissions by email within five to seven days. Submissions will be read by multiple reviewers and an editor, and you will have a response within eight weeks.”
- Format: “Standard 12 pt Times New Roman, 1 inch margins, .5 indent for the first line of each paragraph. 1.5 line spaces between lines. No tabs or spacing to indent, please!” Use .docx, .doc, .rtf, .odt, and .txt formats.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? No.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Not specified. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Who to contact with questions: email@example.com
- Additional notes: “Tone can range from light and sweet to humorous to lightly dramatic, and the story should sweep readers up in an exciting journey away from their everyday lives. … Focus on your heroes’ internal emotional conflicts and the sensual tension between them, then bring in pressure from the outside. Let readers feel the thrill of finding love and working for that happily ever after.”
Find more details at Submissions | Dreamspinner Press, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!Gay romance press @dreamspinners is accepting manuscripts for its Dreamspun Beyond book line, an ongoing collection of contemporary paranormal romances. Submit anytime; pays royalties. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.