Editors Juneta Key and Vanessa Wells seek short stories in fantasy, horror, sci fi, and other speculative genres for their planned anthology Grumpy Old Gods. Gods may be from established mythologies, or you can create them out of whole cloth. This will be an indie-published anthology and is not associated with an established publisher. The editors write:
We’re looking for stories about mythical Gods who are waning, reborn, retired, or otherwise AWOL from their assigned post.
We invite you to re-imagine old myths, mine your local retirement home for things that tickle your fancy, and invite your Muse to go wild. The only requirement is that the god or goddess in question (or whole pantheon if you so choose) must be retired, retiring, waning in power, or ignoring their responsibilities. Bonus points for good humor.
Submitting to Grumpy Old Gods
- Publisher: Juneta Key and Vanessa Wells
- Publication: Grumpy Old Gods (title may change)
- Publication type: anthology
- Editor: Juneta Key and Vanessa Wells
- Word count: 3,000-4,000
- Payment: “All authors who participate in the collection will receive an equal portion of the profit, paid quarterly via PayPal. None of the startup costs for the book (book cover, formatting, etc…) will be deducted from the proceeds.”
- Rights the publisher asks for: First rights
- Deadline: Jan. 13
- Publication date: March 2019
- Response time: Six weeks
- Format: Word Doc or PDF. Contact editors if you need to submit in a different format.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Not specified.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Not specified. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? Not specified.
- Who to contact with questions: email@example.com
- Additional notes: This anthology will be independently published. This means that it is not associated with an established publisher whose track record you can verify. You can, however, check the editors’ track records and contact them with questions.
Find more details at Grumpy Old Gods Call for Submissions | JunetaKey.com, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@junetakey and Vanessa Wella seek short stories in fantasy, horror, sci fi, and other speculative genres for their planned anthology Grumpy Old Gods. Due Jan. 13; pays royalties. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.