Helios Quarterly wants short science fiction, fantasy, and horror stories for upcoming issues. They will consider new submissions January 1–January 15. Editor Zelda Knight writes:
Helios Quarterly Magazine publishes quality fiction, poetry, nonfiction, and art that illuminates the darkness. HQM wants stories and poetry that push boundaries and are succinct.
Submitting to Helios Quarterly
- Publication: Helios Quarterly
- Publication type: periodical
- Editor: Zelda Knight
- Word count: 101 to 1,000 words for flash fiction; 1,001 to 1,500 words for short stories; total word count 3,000 to 7,500 words for serialized stories
- Payment: serial stories 3¢/word, short stories 2¢–3¢/word; flash fiction 1¢/word; 25¢/line for poetry
- Rights the publisher asks for: First world electronic and print rights in English with exclusivity for 6 months from the date of publication. Non-exclusive archival rights as long as website(s) hosting the work are online. If selected for a future podcast, payment is 1¢/word for non-exclusive electronic audio rights. If republished in a future anthology, royalties up to 1¢/word will be paid.
- Deadline: Submission period Jan. 1–Jan. 15
- Publication date:
- Response time: 5–8 weeks
- Format: Standard manuscript format.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Who to contact with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find more details at Submissions | Helios Quarterly, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!Submission call: Helios Quarterly wants short speculative fiction - (Expired) Submission period Jan. 1–Jan. 15, pays 1¢–3¢/word for fiction and 25¢/line for poetry Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.