Lackington’s wants speculative fiction short stories for the next issue of its e-magazine. The publication prefers “controlled and well-crafted wordsmithery that reflects the story, setting, theme, atmosphere, or philosophy it seeks to describe.” The editors write:
It’s time Lackington’s celebrates all the “Magics” found in speculative fiction from around the globe. Send us your tales of sorcerers, charmed items, mysterious transformations, and enchanted places in this world and others. This theme speaks for itself, but the less traditionally magical your story, the more we want to read it.
Submitting to Lackington’s
- Publication: Lackington’s
- Publication type: e-magazine
- Word count: 1,500 – 5,000 words
- Payment: 1¢ Canadian/word (minimum $25 Canadian)
- Rights the publisher asks for: First world electronic and print rights, as well as non-exclusive reprint rights. Story may be reprinted elsewhere after 90 days.
- Deadline: Not specified, but submission was posted June 6 and submission window usually stays open about 8–12 weeks.
- Response time: Within 60 days.
- Format: No attachments. Paste the story into the body of the email and include word count for your story, byline, publication history, the country you live in, and the theme/issue you’re submitting to.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? No.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? They only consider reprints for English-language work previously published outside Canada, U.S., British Isles, Australia, and New Zealand. They also accept new English translations of work previously published in another language.
- Additional notes: Lackington’s specializes in artistic prose and experimental styles. Read more about their preferences.
Find more details at Submissions | Lackington’s, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@Lackingtons has a call out for speculative fiction short stories. Submission period opened June 6 and expected to stay open 8–12 weeks; pays 1¢ Canadian/word (minimum $25 Canadian). Click To Tweet