Manifold Press is a UK press that has reorganized. They are now relaunching with a focus on LGBTQ+ historical fiction and historical fantasy. The editors write:
For the near future the Press will be specialising in Queer Historical (all aspects of LGBTQ+).
We seek fiction in a range of genres grounded in historical realities that finds space for LGBTQ+ and non-traditional protagonists (we will consider historical fantasy set in this world, but we are not at this stage taking fiction set in fantastical worlds). We are actively committed to Diverse Publishing.
Submitting to Manifold Press
- Publisher: Manifold Press
- Publication type: ebooks, possible print books
- Word count: up to 7,500 words for short stories submitted to Manifold’s planned quarterly magazine; 50,000 words or more for novels
- Payment: Royalties
- Rights the publisher asks for: Not specified; an example of the contract can be seen on request
- Deadline: Ongoing submissions; no deadline
- Response time: Not specified
- Publication date: varies; Manifold Press will begin publishing again in January 2019
- Format: Not specified, but standard manuscript format in Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format is usually a good bet. For novels, do not submit the entire book. Instead, submit a cover letter, synopsis and the first three chapters.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Not specified.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Not specified. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? Not specified.
Find more details at Call for Submissions | Manifold Press, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!.@manifoldpressuk has a call out for historical fiction featuring LGBTQ characters. No deadline; pays royalties. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.