PillPack, an online pharmacy, wants nonfiction essays about thriving with disabilities and chronic illness for its magazine Folks. The editors write:
Folks is an daily online magazine dedicated to telling the stories of remarkable people who refuse to be defined by their health issues. By sharing the experiences of these individuals, we hope to change people’s notions about what it means to be ‘normal’.
Editorially independent, Folks is sponsored and published by PillPack. Part of our mission at PillPack is to create healthcare experiences that empower people. We believe that people are more than just their conditions, and managing health is an important part of everyone’s life.
What we’re looking for
Compelling personal essays with a unique hook and a strong takeaway challenging readers to think differently about what it means to have a health condition. We value clear writing and diverse perspectives when selecting pieces.
Submitting to Folks
- Publisher: PillPack
- Publication: Folks
- Publication type: e-magazine
- Word count: 800–1,600 words (flexible)
- Payment: $400
- Rights the publisher asks for: Exclusive publication rights for one year following publication; non-exclusive rights thereafter
- Deadline: no deadline
- Publication date:
- Response time: about 2 weeks if interested
- Format: Format: Send an email to email@example.com with a two-paragraph synopsis of what “your essay is about, and what you want readers to take away from it. … If you have already written your essay, it’s okay to attach it along with your pitch, but your email should still contain a strong summary.”
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Not specified.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Not specified. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Additional notes: Find more guidelines at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bPwWf9QudKryEofsUX7fd9fTS2k9_EoBAParAD3bacI/edit#heading=h.f36hfi4v3bne
Find more details at Write for Us | @FolksStories, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@pillpack has a call out nonfiction essays about thriving with health issues. No deadline; pays $400. Click To Tweet