Rattle is accepting submissions of poetry based on artwork from Kari Gunter-Seymour. This is part of Rattle’s monthly Ekphrastic Challenge, in which the magazine challenges writers to create a poem based on a different piece of visual art each month.
The editors explain the Ekphrastic Challenge this way:
There’s a long tradition of poetry responding to visual art (and vice versa), and we thought it would be fun to post a challenge. For the first [Ekphrastic Challenge], Judy Keown, cover artist from issue #45, donated a photograph of an argiope spider. We gave poets a month to respond to this photograph in verse, and received 266 entries. Judy Keown and Rattle’s Timothy Green each selected their favorite poem from the submissions and published them online at Rattle.com.
Given how many people seemed to enjoy the Ekphrastic Challenge, we’ve decided to make it a monthly series, using open submissions of artwork when necessary. This means that we’re looking for a new image to inspire poems periodically.
Submitting to Rattle magazine
- Publication: Rattle magazine
- Publication type: online
- Editors: Timothy Green (Rattle editor) and Kari Gunter-Seymour (artist and guest judge)
- Word count: No line limit provided
- Payment: $50
- Rights the publisher asks for: First publication rights plus exclusive rights for one year after publication. Author retains copyright.
- Deadline: Dec 31
- Publication date: February 2019
- Response time: 60 days
- Format: Not specified. Standard manuscript format is a good bet.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Not specified.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Yes, but include all in a single document.. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? “…we won’t consider poems that have been published in books, magazines, or newspapers, in print or online. We will, however, consider poems that have only been self-published to blogs, message boards, or social media accounts.”.
- Who to contact with questions: www.rattle.com/info/contact/
Find more details at Ekphrastic Challenge | Rattle, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@rattlemag submissions of poetry based on artwork from Kari Gunter-Seymour. Due Dec. 31; pays $50. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.