For its summer 2019 issue, Room magazine wants short stories, poetry, and essays by women and nonbinary writers on the theme of sports. Editor Meghan Bell and assistant editor Chelene Knight write:
We want work that will make us sweat and cheer. Send us your best stories about women and non-binary athletes, sports fandom, alternative sports (e.g. theatre sports, e-sports—surprise us!), and how sports culture can intersect with violence and toxic masculinity. We also encourage submissions that are critical of sports culture, such as how athletics and fan cultures privilege certain bodies over others. Underrepresented writers—including but not exclusive to women and non-binary writers who are Black, Indigenous, people of colour, queer, and/or disabled—are particularly encouraged to submit.
Submitting to Room
- Publisher: The West Coast Feminist Literary Magazine Society
- Publication: Room
- Publication type: literary magazine
- Editor: Meghan Bell; assistant editor, Chelene Knight
- Word count: Up to 3,500 words for prose, or up to five poems
- Payment: $50 CAD for one page, $60 for two pages, $90 for three pages, $120 for four pages, $150 for five or more pages.
- Rights the publisher asks for: First rights
- Deadline: January 31, 2019
- Publication date: summer 2019
- Response time: Two weeks to six months.
- Format: Not specified. Standard manuscript format in Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format is usually a good bet.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. “[P]lease send only one submission per quarter (one submission of poetry can include up to five poems)”. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Who to contact with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Additional notes: “Room publishes fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and art by women (cisgender and transgender), transgender men, Two-Spirit and nonbinary people. We specifically encourage writers with overlapping under-represented identities to submit their work. We don’t want writers to feel restricted by gender or genre labels, so if you are unsure if your work is a fit for Room, please get in touch …”
Find more details at Submit | Room Magazine, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@RoomMagazine wants short stories, poetry, and essays by women and nonbinary writers on the theme of sports. Due Jan. 31; pays $50–$150 CAD. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.