For its summer 2019 issue, Room magazine wants short stories, poetry, and essays by women and nonbinary writers on the theme of sports. Editor Meghan Bell and assistant editor Chelene Knight write:
We want work that will make us sweat and cheer. Send us your best stories about women and non-binary athletes, sports fandom, alternative sports (e.g. theatre sports, e-sports—surprise us!), and how sports culture can intersect with violence and toxic masculinity. We also encourage submissions that are critical of sports culture, such as how athletics and fan cultures privilege certain bodies over others. Underrepresented writers—including but not exclusive to women and non-binary writers who are Black, Indigenous, people of colour, queer, and/or disabled—are particularly encouraged to submit.
Submitting to Room
- Publisher: The West Coast Feminist Literary Magazine Society
- Publication: Room
- Publication type: literary magazine
- Editor: Meghan Bell; assistant editor, Chelene Knight
- Word count: Up to 3,500 words for prose, or up to five poems
- Payment: $50 CAD for one page, $60 for two pages, $90 for three pages, $120 for four pages, $150 for five or more pages.
- Rights the publisher asks for: First rights
- Deadline: January 31, 2019
- Publication date: summer 2019
- Response time: Two weeks to six months.
- Format: Not specified. Standard manuscript format in Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format is usually a good bet.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. “[P]lease send only one submission per quarter (one submission of poetry can include up to five poems)”. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Who to contact with questions: email@example.com
- Additional notes: “Room publishes fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and art by women (cisgender and transgender), transgender men, Two-Spirit and nonbinary people. We specifically encourage writers with overlapping under-represented identities to submit their work. We don’t want writers to feel restricted by gender or genre labels, so if you are unsure if your work is a fit for Room, please get in touch …”
Find more details at Submit | Room Magazine, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@RoomMagazine wants short stories, poetry, and essays by women and nonbinary writers on the theme of sports. Due Jan. 31; pays $50–$150 CAD. Click To Tweet