Smokelong Quarterly seeks flash fiction from multiple genres for its online and print periodical. The editors write:
We are dedicated to bringing the best flash fiction to the web on a quarterly basis, whether written by widely published authors or those new to the craft.
The term “smoke-long” comes from the Chinese, who noted that reading a piece of flash takes about the same length of time as smoking a cigarette. All the work we publish is precisely that—about a smoke long.
Submitting to Smokelong Quarterly
- Publication: Smokelong Quarterly
- Publication type: online with potential for print publication
- Editors: Tara Laskowski and Christopher Allen
- Word count: up to 1,000 words
- Payment: $25/story
- Rights the publisher asks for: Exclusive electronic rights for 3 months and non-exclusive rights thereafter so the work can be archived online. They also ask for non-exclusive print rights for potential anthologies and promotional materials.
- Deadline: Submit anytime
- Publication date: Varies. Smokelong Quarterly publishes weekly online and once a quarter in print.
- Response time: Up to 6 weeks
- Format: Not specified. Standard manuscript format is a good bet.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No, but “[w]e do not consider pieces published only on your personal web site or blog to have been previously published, so we will consider those, but inform us of this in your cover letter and know we may ask you to temporarily take the story down if we accept it.”
- Who to contact with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find more details at Submissions | Smokelong Quarterly, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!Do you write flash fiction? @SmokeLong Quarterly wants flash fiction in multiple genres. Submit anytime; pays $25/story. Click To Tweet