Spectrum Lit seeks queer flash fiction writers in a variety genres. From their publisher:
We hope for a variety, but want every piece we publish to feel like a glass of cool water after a hot and exhausting day. We want pieces that are powerful and strong, as well as pieces that are lighthearted and fun. Give us pieces that would make you smash the reblog button shouting “THIS!!!,” make your entire day just to know it exists, or give you words for a feeling you couldn’t describe before.
Works must be by LGBTQ+ writers and about LGBTQ+ characters, and the main character must share at least one of the same LGBTQ+ identities as the writers’. (Spectrum Lit doesn’t explain this in detail, but I assume this means if you are a gay trans man, you could write a story about a cis gay man or a trans straight man or a pansexual trans man; if you’re a genderfluid femme, you could write about a genderfluid person who may or may not be femme. But that’s my interpretation, YMMV. If you’re not sure you’ll be able to keep track, or you’re not sure about what your own identity is other than “queer,” you could just write about yourself; they say they’ll accept memoir that sounds like fiction.)
What they don’t want: series or cliffhangers, queer tragedies, dead LGBTQ+ characters, explicit sex, graphic violence, or derogatory language.
Wow, that was a lot to read through for $5. But there’s more:
- Publisher: Spectrum Lit
- Publication type: Online
- Word count: up to 1,500 words
- Payment: $5 the first week of the month following publication
- Rights: six months of exclusivity (i.e. you can’t publish the piece anywhere else for six months), and SpectrumLit has the right to keep the story online for free or behind a paywall indefinitely
- Deadline: rolling
- Format: Standard manuscript format in Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format
- Will they take simultaneous or multiple submissions? Do not send more than one submission at a time. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? Yes, as long as your piece isn’t currently available anywhere online for free.
Read all the guidelines at Call for Submissions | Spectrum Lit on Patreon. There’s an Easter egg in there, and if you don’t reference it in your cover letter, they’ll assume you didn’t read the guidelines and probably reject your piece.
I feel like an asshole asking for a contribution to my tip jar or Patreon for posting a call that pays $5, so I guess I won’t. But please do consider it for the other calls I post if you find them of benefit. Like many in the US, I’ve been personally struck by the wave of rampant douchebaggery sweeping the nation, and my partner’s employer has decided to rescind health insurance for domestic partners. Whether that means buying insurance out-of-pocket or paying for an emergency wedding and the cadre of lawyers a later-in-life marriage entails, it means I’m spending more money than I budgeted for in the next few months/years. Every little bit helps.
2 thoughts on “Call for Submissions: LGBTQ+ Flash Fiction, no deadline”
Thank you for sharing this.