Factor Four Magazine is a speculative fiction publication launched in April 2018. They specialize in flash fiction—stories of 1,500 or fewer words, with preference given to stories of up to 1,000 words.
Each issue will contain sixteen flash fiction stories. Issues will be released four times a year. The speculative fiction genres they publish are science fiction, fantasy, supernatural, and superhero.
They will also consider stories that blend and cross genres. Sexual content and foul language are okay if they are pertinent to the story, but Factor Four Magazine is not looking for erotica.
Editor-in-chief Richard Flores writes:
Factor Four Magazine is a quarterly magazine featuring flash fiction stories from the Speculative Fiction realm. We publish stories you can read on the go in either print, eReader, and or right here on our website. Some of our issues carry a certain theme, while others contain a random selection from the genre.
Submitting to Factor Four Magazine
- Publisher: Factor Four Magazine
- Publication type: Magazine (print and electronic)
- Word count: up to 2,000 words; 1,000 words or fewer preferred
- Payment: 8¢/word, with a minimum payment of $60 per story
- Rights: They ask for first print and electronic rights, and exclusive rights for one year after publication.
- Deadline: Submit anytime.
- Response Time: About 90 days
- Format: Standard manuscript format in Rich Text Format (preferred) or Microsoft Word. They want your manuscript to be in Courier 12 point font.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? No.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
For complete details, visit Factor Four Magazine | Fiction Submission Guidelines, and please tell them you found their call here!
Want to get even more involved? Factor Four Magazine is looking for volunteer staff members, including slush pile readers. Staff are not allowed to submit fiction or artwork to the magazine. Compensation is in complimentary subscriptions and coolness points. Learn how to volunteer here.
And when you’re done with that, scroll down to check out more submission calls, why don’t you?@factorfourmag wants speculative flash fiction. Submit anytime; pays 8¢/word. Click To Tweet