Things in the Well, the publication arm of Oz Horror Con, is putting together its fourth themed horror anthology. Beneath the Waves: Tales from the Deep will feature Clive Barker’s “The Madonna” as an anchor story. Writers are invited to submit new and original stories about underwater monsters and psychological terrors.
See past Things in the Well anthologies like Between the Tracks: Tales from the Ghost Train for a sense of what they like.
- Publisher: Things in the Well
- Publication type: Anthology
- Word count: 5,000–8,000 words, with some flexibility
- Payment: $50 AUD (Australian), plus a copy of the book in paperback
- Rights: $25 for publication in ebook, another $25 if a print edition is also made
- Deadline: Feb. 28, 2018
- Response time: Responses by April
- Format: Not specified.
- Will they take simultaneous or multiple submissions? Not specified. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
Find more details at Submissions | Things in the Well.
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.