The University of Georgia seeks literary short stories, poetry, and essays for The Georgia Review. The editors write:
The Georgia Review seeks to create a lasting environment for literature by supporting writers at every stage of their careers. Committed to the art of editorial practice, the Review collaborates with authors of essays, stories, poems, and reviews in pursuit of works of enduring appeal that engage with the evolving concerns and interests of readers from around the world.
Submitting to The Georgia Review
- Publisher: University of Georgia
- Publication: The Georgia Review
- Publication type: literary magazine
- Word count: No limit on short story length; for poetry, 3 to 5 pages
- Payment: $50 per printed page for prose and $4 per line for poetry, plus a one-year subscription and an extra copy of the issue in which your work appeared
- Rights the publisher asks for: First North American Serial Rights; all rights revert to the author upon publication
- Deadline: May 15
- Response time: 3 to 5 months
- Format: Not specified. Standard manuscript format is a good bet.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Additional notes: Submission period is open August 15 to May 15 each year. The primary method of submitting is via post. There is also an online submission portal, but there is a charge of $3 if you want to use it.
Find more details at Submissions | The Georgia Review, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@GeorgiaReview has a call out for literary short stories, poetry, and essays. Due May 15; pays $50 per printed page for prose and $4 per line for poetry. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.