Villainous Press wants horror stories of technology gone wrong for its upcoming Mechanical Miscreants anthology. The editors write:
Ah, those loveable robots, androids, and cyborgs, performing plenty of chores and dangerous jobs so us humans can remain out of harm’s way.
But…What happens when something goes wrong? If your computer has a hardware fault, would it kill you in your sleep? Would your microwave turn on only when it was opened? What about robots living a life of crime, Asimov’s 3 Laws of Robotics be damned?
The only real requirements for this anthology will be that a major character must be mechanical or electronic in nature and they’re doing something nefarious. All submitted stories must have a dark undertone … Humor is welcome, as long as something is causing some harm or damage to those pesky “organics”.
Submitting to Mechanical Miscreants
- Publisher: Villainous Press
- Publication: Mechanical Miscreants
- Publication type: anthology, ebook
- Word count: 5,000 words to 10,000 words (query for longer)
- Payment: $25 (payment on publication)
- Rights the publisher asks for: Not specified
- Deadline: Nov. 30, 2018 (but submissions will be considered as they come in)
- Publication date: First quarter 2019
- Response time: By Dec. 15
- Format: “Modified Shunn format (see blind reading note): (Times New Roman 12pt font; .docx/.doc/.rtf formats only; single paragraph spacing; one space after a period; do not use tabs to indent; American quote mark usage; both American and UK English acceptable.) No reading fee. BLIND READING RULES: These will be read blind, so put your name, address, phone, email(s), and a 100-200 word bio on a cover page and do not put any identifying information on the rest of the manuscript. Include a running page count starting with page #2 (cover page will be #1). “
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? No.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Not specified. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No specified.
- Who to contact with questions: Annik.Valkanberg@ascarystory.com
- Additional notes: “This project is designed to be a qualifying market for the Horror Writers Association, paying $25 per accepted story to allow folks to join or move up to the Affiliate level of HWA membership.”
Find more details at Submissions | Villainous Press, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!Villainous Press wants horror stories of technology gone wrong for its Mechanical Miscreants anthology. Due Nov. 30, 2018, pays $25. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.