Vulture Bones is an online speculative fiction magazine featuring writing by trans and nonbinary authors. They want short stories, flash fiction, poetry, plays, and comics for their next issue. The editors write:
Vulture Bones is what is left when everything useful is harvested, even the gamey meat of scavengers.
Vulture Bones is the name of a bald and genderless sharpshooter with thirteen enemies and one bullet left.
Vulture Bones is something morbid and foundational.
Vulture Bones is a wild ride.
They welcome sci-fi, fantasy, and other types of imaginative and weird fiction.
Submitting to Vulture Bones
- Publication: Vulture Bones
- Publication type: electronic magazine
- Word count: up to 5,000 words
- Payment: 1¢/word; minimum $5 payment
- Rights the publisher asks for: First Electronic Publishing Rights and First North American Serial Rights
- Deadline: Oct. 31, 2018
- Publication date: Fall 2018
- Format: Embed your work in the email; no attachments will be opened.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Yes. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Additional notes: “This market is open only to individuals who identify as anything other than cisgender. If you identify as anything under the transgender and/or non-binary umbrella, you are encouraged to submit. Please don’t self-reject.”
Find more details at Submissions | Vulture Bones, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@VultureBonesMag has a call out for speculative fiction by trans and nonbinary authors. Due Oct. 31, 2018. Pays 1¢/word; minimum $5 payment. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.