Wizards in Space Literary Magazine invites submissions of short fiction, essays, poetry, and black & white visual stories in multiple genres for its fourth issue. The theme is “space and place.” The magazine appears in print, and some contents are also featured online (with the creators’ permission).
The editors write:
For Issue 04, we seek impactful fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and art that orbit the charged and current conversations of our world and tell authentic stories just waiting to lift off.
We’re particularly interested in themes of space and place, things that change and things that don’t, the spots we share and the ones we keep to ourselves. Where do you go when you need peace? Where do you go when you need to be loud? What moments and what places do you find yourself returning to over and over again? What brings you back to yourself and what lets you rise above the things that try to bring you down? We invite you to experiment and invent, follow and break the rules as you see fit. Share with us your political and your personal, your faith, identity, love and loss, truths and dreams. Even if you are not sure your work fits, we want to hear from you.
All submissions will be judged anonymously. Please do not include your name or any identifying information in your submission or in the file name to help us comply with our anonymous submission process.
Submitting to Wizards in Space Literary Magazine
- Publication: Wizards in Space Literary Magazine
- Publication type: print periodical
- Word count: up to 5,000 words for written pieces and up to 4 pages for visual stories and comics
- Payment: $30 per piece
- Rights the publisher asks for: “Writers keep all rights to their work. We ask that you refrain from posting or publishing your piece between when we accept it and when we publish it as a courtesy. We also ask that if your piece has yet to be published online or in other publication that you cite Wizards in Space Literary Magazine as its original home, but you should be able to post and repost your beautiful stories and experiences as much as you want. You may see photos of your printed work in our promotional materials. We may also ask to re-post your work on our website and our social media to showcase the kind of work we love. We may make minor copy-editing or style alterations to the text of an accepted work (things like fixing minor punctuation, changing to house style, etc.), and the author may not see these minor changes before we publish. However, if there are larger structural edits we’d like to suggest, we would never publish those without your permission. The author may refuse to make our suggested revisions and instead withdraw the piece from consideration, but we hope we can find a happy medium. We also reserve the right to add or modify content warnings as part of our editing process.”
- Deadline: January 15, 2019
- Publication date: March 21, 2019
- Response time: 30 days after close of submissions
- Format: We will accept art in JPEG, PNG or TIFF formats. We accept written submissions in DOC, DOCX, and RTF formats.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? Yes.
- Who to contact with questions: https://wizardsinspace.squarespace.com/contact-us
- Additional notes: Again: “All submissions will be judged anonymously. Please do not include your name or any identifying information in your submission or in the file name to help us comply with our anonymous submission process.”
Find more details at Submissions | Wizards in Space, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!@wzrdsinspacemag invites submissions of short fiction, essays, poetry, and black & white visual stories in multiple genres for its fourth issue. The theme is ‘space and place.’ Due January 15, 2019; pays 30. Click To Tweet