Online fairy tale, folklore, and mythology magazine Enchanted Conversation is seeking stories and comics set in the season of winter for its December issue. Please note that the payment rate has changed from $20 per published piece to $10.The editors write:
Work can either be re-tellings of established stories or use original characters set within the fairy tale, folktale, or mythic templates. Be bold, traditional, lyrical, or experimental in your storytelling and enchant us with your original stories set in a variety of locations around the world and time periods from ancient to modern.
For guidance on the genres they publish, check out their article on the similarities and differences among fairy tales, folktales, and myths.
The magazine will not consider “sci-fi, dystopian, erotica, high fantasy, excessive world building, time-travel, futuristic, or space travel.”
Enchanted Conversation is geared toward adult and teen readers.
Submitting to Enchanted Conversations
- Publisher: Enchanted Conversations
- Publication type: Online magazine
- Editor: Amanda Bergloff (editor-in-chief), William Gilmer (submissions reader)
- Word count: 700–2,000 words for stories, with a 1,500-word “sweet spot”; comics 1 to 5 pages
- Payment: $10 for stories or comics
- Rights the publisher asks for: First electronic rights with the possibility of using the work in a future print compilation. After publication on the site, creators are free to publish their work elsewhere.
- Deadline: Nov. 20, 2018
- Publication date: December 2018
- Response Time: Enchanted Conversation will send a confirmation email after your submission is received. Enchanted Conversation will post the names of authors whose works are chosen for the December issue on its website on November 28, 2018.
- Format: Paste the story in the body of the email, with these guidelines: “Single spacing. No indents on paragraphs. Double space between paragraphs. Use Arial as the font. Try to use American English word forms and punctuation.”
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Enchanted Conversation will consider work you’ve submitted elsewhere.
- Will they take multiple submissions? Submit only one work per author for this issue. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? No.
- Who to contact with questions: EnchantedCSubmissions@gmail.com
- Additional notes: “Authors who were published in previous issues are asked to wait 6 months (from the date of their issue) before they submit again.”
Find more information at Submissions | Enchanted Conversation, and if you submit, be sure to tell them you found out about their call here!Online fairy tale, folklore, and mythology magazine Enchanted Conversation is seeking stories and comics for its December issue. Deadline is Nov. 20 and they pay $10/piece. @EnchantedEzine Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.