Opossum, a semiannual literary magazine of works “animated by music,” seeks poetry, fiction, and nonfiction that is “pulsing with beats, haunted by melodies.” Past issues have included stories inspired by the Oslo death metal scene and the likes of Bob Dylan, James Brown, and Freddie Mercury. The editors say:
… please use your best judgment about sending us the best work you have that is appropriate to our music-driven mission. … We are looking for written work to evaluate on the page. We are not seeking recordings, songs, or readings with musical accompaniment. Work will be considered for publication as an audio recording after we have accepted it for print.
Because we want to encourage work that relates to music in subtle, oblique, and surprising ways, we ask you to include a brief artist’s statement illuminating your work’s relationship to specific musical forms and artifacts. You are welcome to include an author bio as part of your artist’s statement, and we would also love to hear how you heard about us.
While Opossum‘s bent is literary, it doesn’t limit itself to contemporary fiction. In past issues, they’ve printed literary stories that cross with sci-fi and other speculative genres.
The nitty-gritty details on submitting your work to Opossum
- Publisher: Opossum
- Publication type: Online
- Genre(s): Multi-genre with a literary bent. Fiction, non-fiction, and poetry.
- Word count: Flash fiction up to 1,800 words, short stories and essays up to 12,000 words
- Payment: $100 minimum or $12 per page for short fiction and essays; $75 for poems, $75–$100 for flash fiction
- Deadline: Submissions considered on an ongoing basis
- Format: Standard manuscript format, double-spaced with Times New Roman 12-point font, in Microsoft Word, Rich Text Format, PDF, TXT, WordPerfect, or OpenOffice.
- Will they take simultaneous or multiple submissions? Yes. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
Find full submission details and where to direct questions at SUBMIT! – OPOSSUMOpossum, a semiannual literary magazine of works inspired by music, seeks poetry, fiction, and nonfiction that is 'pulsing with beats, haunted by melodies.' They pay $12/page (about 6¢-8¢/word). Click To Tweet