World Weaver Press wants eco-conscious sci-fi shorts for GLASS & GARDENS: SOLARPUNK WINTERS, edited by Sarena Ulibarri, who writes:
Solarpunk is a type of eco-conscious science fiction that imagines an optimistic future founded on renewable energies. Often aiming for a balance of nature and technology, and always inclusive and diverse, solarpunk stories show the ways we have adapted to climate change, or the ways we overcome it.
For this anthology, I want to see solarpunk stories that take place in winter. That might mean working together to survive extreme blizzards, or feeling the heat in places that no longer see snow. Which renewable tech works best during long winter nights? How do solarpunk societies celebrate the winter holidays? Keep it planet-based (Earth or other), and optimistic. Solarpunk worlds aren’t necessarily utopias, but they definitely aren’t dystopias.
We’re a northern hemisphere publisher, but southern hemisphere winters are also welcome!
Ulibarri hopes to hear from indigenous, queer, and other voices.
Submitting to GLASS & GARDENS: SOLARPUNK WINTERS
- Publisher: World Weaver Press
- Publication: GLASS & GARDENS: SOLARPUNK WINTERS
- Publication type: anthology
- Editor: Sarena Ulibarri
- Word count: up to 8,000 words
- Payment: $0.01 per word + contributor copy
- Rights the publisher asks for: Exclusive right to publish the collection, and non-exclusive right to individual story reprints. They do not seek audio, film, or foreign language rights.
- Submission period: Jan. 1–March 1, 2019
- Publication date: Late 2019
- Response time: not specified.
- Format: To be posted closer to the deadline at Submission Guidelines | World Weaver Press. They usually ask for standard manuscript format in Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format.
- Will they take simultaneous submissions? Yes.
- Will they take multiple submissions? No. Read more about multiple and simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? not specified
- Where to send questions: email@example.com
Find more details at Submission Guidelines | World Weaver Press and Solarpunk Winters Writing Prompts | Sarena Ulibari, and don’t forget to tell them you found their submission call here!
@worldweaver_wwp wants eco-conscious sci-fi shorts for GLASS & GARDENS: SOLARPUNK WINTERS, edited by @sarenaulibarri. Submission period is Jan. 1, 2018–March 1, 2019; pays $0.01 per word + contributor copy. Click To Tweet
If you found this post useful, you can help keep this blog going by buying me a coffee or becoming a monthly patron via Patreon. Patrons get early access to submission calls and other tools to make publishing and marketing easier.
About Submission Calls
I post paying submission calls every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I focus on fiction calls, but occasionally post paying opportunities for creative nonfiction and poetry.
Browse more submission calls or tips for writers. You can sort calls by payment rate: token, semi-professional, professional, or royalties. To get a weekly roundup of all my posts for writers, sign up here.
I strive to ensure that all submission calls I post are open to works with characters from underrepresented groups, including queer/LGBTQIA characters. I do this by checking the publisher's back catalog, submissions policies, or business practices, or by communicating with the publisher directly.
Please contact the publisher through the links in the post if you have questions about a submission call. Contact me if you've had a bad experience with a publisher featured here.